Monday, October 02, 2006

WORLDS CHAMPIONS Are World Champions!

I'm of the persuasion that there is nothing wrong with changing the name of your fantasy baseball team each season, if you can come up with a good name. There is also nothing wrong with keeping the same name, if you already have a good name. Since my fantasy baseball team (then called Just a Little Glass) won the Dave Spiwack League pennant last year, I decided I needed a suitable new name for the 2006 campaign. I looked to the past for inspiration, and humbly took an idea from the 1921 Cleveland Indians, naming my 2006 team WORLDS CHAMPIONS. Here's the great Tris Speaker in 1921, along with some Judge guy:


So, how did I fare this season? It was a tighter race this year than last, as the Preston Tramriders were in first place as late as 21 September. However, as you may have guessed by the title of this post, my team prevailed again:

WORLDS CHAMPIONS

2006 Dave Spiwack League Champions


How did I do so well? That's tough for me to say. I didn't think that I had great players. At the start of the season, I felt that my team was rather weak. I drafted a pitcher (Johan Santana) with the 3rd pick of the draft, which was a questionable move, but seemed to work out. If you'll look at the standings, you'll see that I got 11 points or better (out of a possible 12) in 3 of 5 offensive, and 3 of 5 pitching categories. Also, who really needs batting average?!?

One surprise source of power was Bill Hall, who started the year at short, but when Troy Glaus qualified to play SS, Hall moved over to second, while Glaus mostly played short. Thus, the middle infield combination I had for much of the season cranked out 73 homers in real life (though only 68 for me).

Here's a complete breakdown of the hitters and the pitchers. I was going to present an HTML table sorted by playing time, but unsorted images will have to do. I used more players this year, as I would sign players to play an odd Monday or Thursday game, when my starter had the day off. I'm not sure if that worked out or not.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was last! WOOHOO!!!

I guess I take after my Cubbies. Now I have to fire my President, and Manager.

Oh wait, that's me. Hmmm....

dfv said...

Good job Dave. Looking forward to next year's team name.