Sunday, October 22, 2006

My Wild Hat is a Tilley

I've had a few things I've wanted to blog about in the past week that I haven't actually gotten around to writing. One is a response to the recent comment by DFV regarding my "wild hat":


I've appeared before on this blog wearing the same hat:


Here's the story:
Last year, a friend was showing me her "Tilley Hat", which I learned is a hat made Tilley Endurables. I had never heard of them before, but her enthusiasm for the product was so contagious that I asked her to pick up one for me the next time she was in the shop (in Leamington). Since I've been young, I've often worn hats outside; in recent years a growing reason for this is to keep the sun off of my head, but it's also good for cold and rain. Unless the weather was cold and called for a toque, I've usually worn a baseball-style cap, but I thought it would be neat to try a hat designed to be worn, and not one designed more so to advertise my favourite team. As an aside, ever since DFV mentioned that Mrs DFV once spoke disparagingly about wearing shirts with letters on them, I've been more conscious of what I'm overtly advertising, and trying to reduce the quantity. So, the Tilley seemed idea.

Basically, I like it a lot! I've gotten a few funny looks every once in a while, and maybe people think of me as the guy who wears the odd hat, but it does seem to do its job! It keeps my head dry, shaded, and warm. It's expensive and not a cure for a deadly disease or anything like that, but I do recommend Tilley hats.

The hat I model is a Navy T3: "Our most sought-after Tilley Hat has a medium-sized brim that snaps up in the Aussie manner."

No comments: