Friday, June 02, 2006

Camera Decision

Well, it's not exactly what I was planning on doing a few days ago, but I ended up placing an order for a Canon Powershot S3 IS. While it is certainly more camera than I've ever had before, I was attracted to the possibilities made available with a 12x image stabilized optical zoom. According to the reviews I saw, this model also has a few more things to offer than some of its direct competitors. It had better. Add in a memory card and a case, and we're talking (in the vernacular) half a gee. (What's that these days? About 4.9 metres per second squared, right?)

I'm concerned that the larger size (and increased complexity) will make me less likely to carry it around and quickly take snapshots of the things that I'd like to. At the very least, it will give me the new hobby of figuring it out. I'm sure that there's a Digital Photography for the Very Stupid book out there. I should probably pick up a copy.

And, should I ever happen to find myself standing on the sideline of "mid-major" sporting events, even if I still won't look like I belong there, at least I'll be able to take some better photos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've had the S1 IS for a couple years now and love it. Hope you enjoy the S3 and let us know how it is! I'm about ready for an upgrade....