Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Photography Tip and Camera Search

As a general photography tip, don't leave your camera on the roof of your car and then drive away.
On an unrelated note, I am looking to buy a new camera. There are just so many choices and options that it is difficult to compare. My advisor in these matters, (not "The") KLF, simplifies things as follows:
  • Optical Zoom: The more, the better.
  • Megapixels: The more, the better.
Of course, there are also other things to consider, but those are the two main things. As of now, I'm leaning towards the Canon Powershot A620. (Here's an interesting review.) It's a bit larger than my dear departed Sony DSC-P92, but it looks cool otherwise. I'm going to sleep on the decision.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got a Canon PowerShot A610, which is really fantastic.

They are essentially the same camera except A610 is only 5.1 Megapixels.

Still, a great camera, one i'm sure you'd love to own!

Anonymous said...

Naw, go for the canon 350d much better results.

poutineq said...

I'm sure the EOS 650D is a much nicer camera than the A620. Unfortunately, the price difference (US ~$660 without lens vs. $220) is also a consideration.

Anonymous said...

I've owned Canon and Nikon digital cameras over the years, and I've been happy with both.

I've found that all Canon digital models I've owned or tested in recent years appeared to boost the sharpness of the image, in some cases to artificial appearing levels. For example, dark hair under flash would appear brassy.

This is not an issue with my Nikon (though its a little too soft for my tastes, and I use the Nikon software to increase sharpness before printing).

From my limited experience with the Sony models, they appear to also produce a softer image than is typical of Canon, so given you've owned a Sony in the past, I'd test the Canon under different lighting conditions before buying.