Thursday, June 29, 2006

Vacation Thoughts

I don't have a lot I want to say about our recently-concluded vacation, but I thought that I'd mention a few things:
  • It was really nice to rent a fully-equipped house (or a "self-catering cottage") for the time on Pelee. I'm sure that it's not for everyone, but for a group of our size and ages, it was great having separate bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room with a VCR and a movie library, etc. Plus, for the time we spent there, it was likely cheaper than the cost of two hotel rooms per night.
  • There is not a whole lot to do on Pelee Island. Not that there's anything wrong with that. However, the flying, biting insects made outside things a lot less desirable. It wasn't really bad outside where we were staying on the south shore, but when we went to the lighthouse or the east side beach, the bugs were horrible.
  • One thing I wanted to do was go to Fish Point (see below), the most southern point in an inhabited land in Canada. This was the day after the lighthouse trip, and nobody else wanted to go on another "nature walk". I packed long pants and a long-sleeve shirt and biked to the beginning of the park. The bugs were a lot less bad than at the lighthouse. I'm not sure if this was due to the long clothing (which, of course, made me hot), insect repellent, the location, or the wind. It seemed more like a normal walk in the woods, which meant that there were still plenty of bugs. By the time I got to the end of the woods and the beginning of the beach "spit" part, I didn't feel like walking what looked like another mile on loose, seagull-infested sand. So, while I made an attempt, I didn't walk to the point of Fish Point.
  • When you go to a place like the post office or the store on Pelee, you end up chatting with the person at the counter for a while. I suppose everyone is friendly, and happy to have a customer to talk to!
  • I'm not sure I'd want to go back to Pelee Island. At least not at the same time of the year. Too many bugs.
  • Even after spending some time in London, I still don't know much about it as I would expect for a city of its size.
  • Everyone else sleeps a lot! When on vacation, why sleep?!?
  • Kojo Aidoo is my favourite football player!
Fish Point, looking North:

1 comment:

dfv said...

Thanks for your postcard which arrived a few days ago. It's really nice that we occasionally still send them. Expect one from W.A in October.

P.S I love to sleep and laze around on holiday. In fact, I have come to realise that I am a very lazy holidayer. At least every second or third day should be spent guiltlessly doing absolutely nothing. This is in total contrast to Mike's frenetic holidays (which seem amazing to me).