Sunday, June 04, 2006

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

Apologies to Andy Williams, but it's right now.

One question you sometimes get asked in "icebreaker" situations is, "What's your favourite season?" For much of my lifetime, I wouldn't really know how to answer that question. I liked them all for differing reasons. Then, after I got a motorcycle, I would say, "Summer, because motorcycle riding is better when it's warm."

However, my opinion has changed, and now I feel that it's right now, for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere. I now say that my favourite time of the year is late Spring to mid-summer, or approximately late May until late July. The reason? Well, there are two. The first is the ability to do things outside without typically worrying about being too cold, and the other is simple: Daylight!

I'm not a huge outdoorsperson, but I might be more of one if it were always this warm and it always stayed light so late. A few nights ago, I was out riding my bike until 8:50, since I had to pick my car up from the shop. (Whenever I go through biking shorts, it's a good season.) Tonight, I went running at 9:03 pm, and it wasn't dark when I got done.

As I said, it's the most wonderful time of the year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sunset today in Cincinnati is 9:01pm EDT. I too like the long daylight. The only problem (and this is really a small problem, and maybe I really shouldn't be trying to find problems with things that are so wonderful) is that it gets light very early. For someone such as me who wakes up naturally when it gets light, regardless of when I went to sleep, it gets light earlier this time of year than when I would like to wake up. If my schedule were not constrained by the clock, I would simply get up every day at dawn (regardless of clock time) and go to bed eight hours before dawn.

I don't know how light-sensitive people on the East Coast can stand it. Here I am (slightly) complaining, and I'm at the far western edge of my time zone. When I vacationed in New England in the Summer of 2000, I spent one night in Augusta, ME at a Motel 6. As anyone who has ever stayed at a Motel 6 knows, you get just the basics -- no extras like clock-radios. I woke up that morning, got up and looked out the window, and noticed that the Sun was already up and shining. I thought it must be around 6am. I turned on the TV and tuned to the Weather Channel to get the time. The time was 5:01am EDT!

dfv said...

The one nice thing about a bedroom that faces west is that if you have decent curtains, you can sleep till lunchtime. In fact, it's so dark in our bedroom that the "light issue" has never been a problem for me, despite being sensitive to lights in rooms inside. In fact, that's given me an idea for a weblog post all of its own. The bad thing is that the hot sun in the west makes summer evenings a furnace.

P.S This is the time I normally visit for GOBA, and indeed it is a great time to be in Ohio (except I usually bring a cold with me).