Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Greatest Part of My Heritage -- It never really happened. :-(

Compared to some people, I don't have a large family in terms of known or living relatives. Also, I'm not aware of any relative of mine doing anything earth-shattering or being all that famous.

Except for one thing. Since a young age, I always knew I was somehow mysteriously related to the person who invented the "reflectors on a stick" that you see on the side of the road or highway. Or maybe he only invented a particular type of reflector on a stick. The details were lost on me, but I seem to recall it somehow related to the white ones that I would see on highways. I've probably "known" this since I was 4 or 5 years old, but I never knew who the great inventor was. I didn't let this bother me. As I mentioned, there is a lot I don't know about my family.

Today, it all came crashing down.

I was talking with my mother, and the topic of her and my relatives came up. I asked her who was the mysterious reflector inventor. It turned out that it wasn't a relative, but the father of a friend of my father. Or maybe they weren't really friends. I didn't want to ask about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My great grandfather invented the repeating cap gun. You know, the roll of red paper with the cap dots on them. Also, I have some sort of connection (by marriage) to Branch Rickey. I'd have to ask my mom to be sure, but it's something like the second cousin (possibly once removed) of a great uncle by marriage. Another connection that I think is neat is that my minister has a connection by marriage to June Carter Cash.