Tuesday, March 14, 2006

2006 Pinewood Derby Cars

Here are our Pinewood Derby cars for 2006. The official car is the first one in the first picture. The others will be in the "Open" division.

My joke about this annual Cub Scout event is that the fathers make cars for the boys, and then everyone pretends that the boys make them. There is probably a wide range of opinion as to what is the appropriate level of involvement for a boy of specific age. I would guess that young boys are generally less skilled with woodworking today than they were 75 years ago or so. At the local level, this is supposed to be a "family" activity. In my family, the kids design the cars, but don't necessarily do all of the work.

For the past two years, my brother-in-law used his artistry with power tools to cut the cars out of the blocks of wood. That option was not available this year, so Marty filled in. Compared to what I'm used to, Marty is a "Measure twice; cut once" kind of guy. On the other hand, I commented to my brother-in-law that I preferred to measure once and cut twice. He responded that he liked to cut three times without measuring at all, since it was faster that way.

Anyway, here's a front view of the cars, G, A, & T:


And here's a rearish view:

No comments: