Sunday, September 17, 2006

(Non-Tennessee) Volunteer Marching Band

I found the following photo on my wife's desk a day or two ago. As I mentioned before, I don't organize my old photos well, but I don't know why it was there. It had been a long time since I had seen it. I figured that I would at least save a copy online, so that I would have a backup of sorts.

This photo is from a few decades after the advent of colour photography, and it shows the marching band that we put together for the youth football "pageant", where, to start the season, the youth players all played a scrimmage game in the high school stadium. The far (away) stands look small and sparse, though the home stands were larger and more populated.

I could be remembering wrong, but I seem to recall that volunteers were asked to participate and what we put together was done without the help of one of our directors, or maybe without any adult supervision at all. (Is that even possible? It's hard to imagine these days.)

The real question is, do you recognize me? If you do, do you recognize anyone else you know?

5 comments:

dfv said...

I can spot you easily Dave. All that hair, and such SOLID thighs. As for additional parties, I'm really struggling - unless that's Carmen on the 40 yard line (her hair looks too wavy though), or perhaps a small Mike Snyder behind you.

Anonymous said...

ok, you've got to explain the comment about people trolling for comments on my blog :-) e-mail me at jeremytech@gmail.com :-D Peace

Anonymous said...

Dave is easy to find, and yes that is Me (Snyder) behind him. I think the flute player is Roseanne Z. and M. Anthony is a few rows ahead. The blond trombone player two rows in front of Dave might be a rock star.... Was this from 82' ?

poutineq said...

I'm pretty sure the blond trombone is D.A., not D.L.

Did D.L. ever become a rock star beyond his own mind? I mean, I know he had a band or few. Did they ever release any recordings with a medium (or larger) "label"?

Do you recognize the clarinet player next to D.A.? I do. Actually I recognize both, but the female is someone we knew better.

I think you're a year late.

Anonymous said...

Dave-are your kids begging you for those groovy retro shorts and socks? :) Why didn't anyone give me the purple shirt memo?? I CERTAINLY wasn't trying to make a quality fashion statement myself! I think the flute player a few rows back is Katherine Glaros. Scott is laughing at the ability of my flute to be heard in a row of tubas! Further fodder for his "woodwinds are worthless" movement. Thanks for the laugh!