Friday, September 01, 2006

Workplace Internal Spam and Fever

I don't normally like to make fun of the people I work with, but there is one thing that I feel is worth mentioning that annoys me. One class of workplace internal spam is when we get mail mentioning a successful project, or a future contract, or something. Often, this will be only marginally related to my job; I can live with this, I suppose. But what bugs me is when people (who should know better) do a group reply without thinking and have nothing to add besides "Good Job" or "Congratulations!" or something like that. I mean, don't they realize that the message is going to, I don't know, tens of people (or maybe many more) who all will need to take the time from their busy day to read the message, grumble internally that this person had nothing to say, and then delete it?

Anyway, if you agree, reply by saying "Sooooooooooooo WONDERFUL!!" or something.

Actually, the level of intelligence involved reminds me when, many years ago, a coworker changed his mail (or USENET) response attribution line to say, "$SENDER must have been out of his mind with fever when he said:". This caused a minor controversy when he responded to someone who, due to a lack of understanding of modern communications, thought it was some kind of personal attack, rather than just a silly (and certainly unprofessional) thing he had changed in his mailer and had probably forgotten.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was once said by poutineq, the great philosopher, that:

But what bugs me is when people (who should know better) do a group reply without thinking and have nothing to add besides "Good Job" or "Congratulations!" or something like that.

I don't see too much of that here. What I find most annoying here are messages from "Global Marketing" that are almost always uninteresting. At best, they may announce that some company I've never heard of is going to use our software. Usually, it's something along the lines of, "[CEO] today announced that he will attend [some industry conference] in [some city]." Whoopee!

dfv said...

Awesome!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I hear what you all are saying, and it is one extreme, granted. The other extreme is normal in Germany. This is that if you do a good job, you will very, very rarely hear about it.