Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The 438 Steps

No, this post isn't about a remake of The 39 Steps, the Hitchplop flick from 1935.

Not long ago, my wife purchased a cheap pedometer. It's the sort of thing that if I get one day's of use out of it, I'll be satisfied. That is, it seems like a fun thing to try, but I don't think I'd want to wear one every day.

I discovered a few things:
  • At work, if I walk to the near restroom, a round-trip is 82 steps. If I walk to a more distant restroom, a round-trip is 438 steps.
  • Given how little I walk, the 356 extra steps is a non-trivial addition to my day.
  • One site recommends 10,000 steps per day as a benchmark for good health. How close do you come?
By the way, that site says that their pedometer cost less than $30. I think ours cost about $5.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I counted correctly, there are 1,633 paces from my cubicle to the condiments table at my traditional Friday lunch place. I believe my pace is larger than average, so I have no idea what that translates to in distance. Maybe I should bring my GPS receiver along and measure it.