Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Traveling in Style

Although it wasn't my first choice, for our recent trip to and from Louisiana, we drove through the night both ways. On the other hand, Ron prefers night-driving on long trips. Since we were the only ones in the Taurus wagon, we were able to put down the back seats, lay out my Therm-A-Rest, top it with a sleeping bag and pillow, and basically have a full-length bed. Top it off with the necessary ear plugs and eye mask, and you have all you need for a nap.

On the way down,
  • With us both awake, I drove to just south of Louisville, KY (Shepherdsville).
  • Ron drove to Athens, AL.
  • With Ron sleeping, I drove to Eutaw, AL (southwest of Tuscaloosa).
  • With me sleeping, Ron drove to Poplarville, MS
  • We were both up the rest of the way.
On the way back,
  • With us both awake, Ron drove to Hattiesburg, MS.
  • I drove to the Alabama state line.
  • With me sleeping, Ron drove to Cullman, AL.
  • With Ron sleeping, I drove to Elizabethtown, KY.
  • With me sleeping, Ron drove to south of Cincinnati.
  • With us both awake, Ron drove the rest of the way.
All-in-all, it was an interesting way to drive. It's was interesting to me to imagine how far and how quickly two people could drive taking turns like that.

I don't usually sleep in vehicles, and the quality of sleep really wasn't all that hot. It was strange in that I didn't really notice falling asleep or waking up. But, I'd think, "I must have been laying here about an hour now," check, and see that it was really 2 1/2 hours or so.

On Monday (after driving all night) I felt mostly fine. On Saturday, after the return, I did get quite tired, and a 3-hour nap helped.

Anyone up for a road trip?

2 comments:

dfv said...

Dare I ask what you and Ron were doing away from your wives down in Louisiana?

poutineq said...

Volunteer work related to hurricane relief and reconstruction.