Saturday, December 10, 2005

Oh Christmas Tree

When I was really little, we got real Christmas trees. I remember going out a few times to buy the tree. I can't say that such trips were all that exciting -- it was more of having to stand out in the cold and out of everyone's way while the adults reached an agreement on the appropriate tree.

When I was a little older, like maybe 8 or 9 or so, we switched to artificial trees. That was OK and all, but I remember thinking that when I was an adult, I would buy real trees, since artificial ones were so, well, artificial. If I'm going to have a tree in a house, why not make it a tree, and not just a representation of one?

As you can guess, today was the day I made the Christmas tree purchase. There's so much to do for the holidays, and so little time to appreciate it all. I can see the advantages of having artificial trees. But then my daughter says that it wouldn't really seem like Christmas if she didn't get pricked by pine needles when she walks around the house in bare feet.

Another thing I remember about putting up the Christmas when I was young is that, for everyone's sanity and temper levels, that the kids should have little involvement, and if possible, be in a different room. As an adult, I certainly see the wisdom in that, but my wife doesn't really agree.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never experienced the 'joys' of getting pricked by pine needles when walking around the house in bare feet.

Sounds like fun.