Monday, December 26, 2005

Gifting Myself

Although they didn't need to do it, both my mother- and brother-in-law presented me with the gift that keeps on giving this Christmas: Cash.

In situations like these, the first thing that comes to mind is to use the money to pay down my mortgage or to fund my retirement account or something, but I know that's not in the appropriate (commercial?) spirit. So, I went over to Amazon.com and did some browsing.

Items I considered included the following:

Video:

Audio:

But in the end, I went with a couple of Giller Prize-winning books:
I thought that "Vikram Lall" sounded interesting. I'm less sure about the other book, but I've been wanting to read something by Atwood for a while. Oryx and Crake seems like it might be a little odd for a first experience with an author, and my wife thought Grace might be interesting.

While I was at it, I ordered the following for my daughter's upcoming birthday. Shhh! Don't tell her!

1 comment:

dfv said...

Oryx and Crake was the first and only Atwood book I read. I've looked over the others since then, and decided I don't like any of them. Having said that, we own Alias Grace, and Kim has mumbled nice things about it.