Friday, December 23, 2005

Christmas Traditions #1: Poppy Seed Rolls



When I was little, for Christmas, Grandma (or Great-Grandma, depending on your generation) Marsik would make poppy seed (and nut-) rolls for Christmas. I always liked them, but my mother didn't typically make them. So, by the time I was in high school (or maybe college) I was making poppy seed rolls myself. Here's the recipe I use, somewhat updated for modern bread machines.

Poppy Seed (Nut) Roll
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 stick (1/4 lb.) butter
  • A little salt (recipe calls for 1/2 t.)
  • 1 T sugar
  • 1 egg yolk (save the white)
  • ~2 t. dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup water (or a bit more, if you like)
  • Put all these ingredients into your bread machine and make dough.
  • When it's done, divide it into two pieces, cover, and let them sit a while.
  • Roll out dough fairly thin. (Recipe says "as thin as possible", but it is possible to make it too thin.)
  • Spread it with some egg whites. (I'm not sure why I do this. Tradition, maybe.)
  • Spread it with poppy seed, nut, or the filling of your choice.
  • Roll it up!
  • Cover and let sit a while. (30 minutes or so.)
  • Spread top with egg whites. (This, I know, helps it to "brown".)
  • Bake at 425F for 30 minutes.
One interesting question is "How much filling should I use?". It's really up to you. If you use half a can for one roll, it might be just a little sparse. I've been told that it's better with one can per roll, but it's a little heavy on the filling that way. Maybe 3 cans for 4 rolls can work, but I used one can per roll this year.

Frosting - 1/2 cup powdered sugar with a little milk & vanilla and food colouring of your (or your kids') choice. Put on roll (after it cools).

Yum.

In past years, I think I used double the butter by mistake, not correctly knowing the conversions between sticks, pounds, and ounces. Or maybe I used half the butter. It still worked out. It's quite a flexible recipe. One year (many years ago) a friend helped me bake poppy seed rolls. As her mother would say, if you double the butter, it will just be a little richer.

Of course, you need helpers, too.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What exactly is 'poppy seed filling'? I mean, I guess I understand the concept, but I've never heard of it.

Anonymous said...

Bye the way, I use 1.5 times this recipe for 2 rolls.