Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Quick Trip To Miami

Well, I guess I'm kind of obligated to do a write-up of yesterday's jaunt to Oxford and the Miami/Bowling Green football game. For writeup of the actual game, Yahoo! Sports did a better job than I could do. As it says, the start of the game was delayed for 2 1/2 hours due to the forecast of heavy storms approaching the area. Just as we were arriving at the stadium, it was being announced that the game was being suspended, and everyone was supposed to go to their cars (what if you walked?) or go to Millett Hall, the basketball arena. Not knowing any local establishments for the purchase of a beverage while we waited, we went up the hill to Millett and hung out for a while:


Not a whole lot was happening there. A women's volleyball game against Buffalo had just finished. But we still got to watch some exciting intercollegiate volleyball action involving the bored cheerleaders:


We also sent the following e-mail messages to Tony from my phone:

Stuck in millett hall. Hope it works out better in oxford than it did in new orleans.

Still stuck in Millett Hall. Listening to Weezer.

Still stick in millet. Being subjected to miami band. Please send help. Can't hold out much longer. Considering jumping.


I think it costs me 10c per each e-mail message I send, but it was worth it. Unfortunately, I have no idea how Tony reacted to the messages, as I was able to tell that he sent a reply, but either I couldn't figure out how to actually read an e-mail message to my phone, or it isn't working right on my phone.

Eventually (like 9:30pm) the game got started.
  • I don't recall being at a football game before where it rained so much.
  • I don't recall seeing a team score three safeties in a game before.
  • I don't recall seeing a team botch four punts in a game before.
  • I don't recall seeing a quarterback throw five interceptions in a game before.
I mentioned the rain. Really, it wasn't a problem for us, though. We had the opportunity to watch the game from inside and out of the weather. Or, when the weather cleared, we were able to hang out on the sideline. It was a great way to watch a game -- I recommend it to anyone, and I hope to do it again. Sorry, I don't have a photo of the view of the field from "upstairs", but here are a few shots from the sideline.

The north stands of the less-than-packed Yager Stadium:


Bowling Green celebrating (from 10 yards away) after a touchdown by Sean O'Drobinak:


Cheerleaders doing their thing rather than playing volleyball:


By the way, due to the delay in getting the game started, I didn't get to bed until about 3:00am. Zzzzzzzzzz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

for the record, Tony loved 'em. The jealous bastard that he was for the night. The last one still makes me giggle.