Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Extraction!

I finally went ahead and had a wisdom tooth removed this morning. (Yes, people at my tender age can have wisdom teeth removed too.) It wasn't really causing major problems, but as time went on, it was gradually aching more frequently when I'd eat something sweet or hot or cold or whatever. I figured that the situation wasn't going to get any better. Unfortuantely, they said that I wasn't supposed to take it home, so I can't show the kids or post a photo on the blog or anything like that. There actually was ample opportunity for me to palm it when nobody was looking -- I think the dentist intentionally gives you that chance -- after all, it's my tooth. But if them's the rules, them's the rules. (Maybe next time I'll try a back alley tooth extractor?)

So now I'm at home, changing the gauze pads every twenty or thirty minutes, and not allowed to drink anything at all today. (How will I manage?) I am allowed to have some ice cream tonight.

I feel fine now. Let's see how it goes after the anesthetic wears off. Unfortunately, I didn't get any cool drugs to try, but then I didn't ask for any.

Does anyone have any cool tooth stories?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only cool tooth story i have is that I don't need to get my wisdom teeth pulled. Plenty o' room in this mouf of mine.

I think if you went to Dr. Nick you could probably keep the tooth. But do you really want a next time?

Polt said...

I don't know if it's a cool tooth story, but I've had to have two teeth pulled (not wisdom teeth, had them cut out when I was under anestesia)and both times, the dentist had his assistant clean them up for me, wrap them in gauze and take them home. They're still lying around the apartment somewheres.

don't know why you weren't allowed...maybe it's cause they were wisdom teeth....although I don't know why that would matter.

Anyway, hope you feel better now that it's gone.

djl said...

About five years ago, I had a root canal.

As I was sitting in the chair with the little drills going into my tooth over and over, it occurred to me that yes, I would rather have a root canal that go to work.