Friday, January 07, 2005

Pennies on Their Way Out at Jolly Pirate?

On the way to work/school this morning, we stopped at the Jolly Pirate Do(ugh)nut shop. We usually (once or twice a week) go to Tim Hortons, but we made an exception today. I got a small decaf and a doughnut to share with T. The order came to $1.54. At first, I handed the lady $2, but then decided I had 5c in my pocket so I handed her that coin, too. She gave me 50c in change, without any regards to the extra cent owed me.

This was no problem to me -- I feel that one-cent coins are more hassle than they're worth. But it was interesting to see an example of a merchant who seems to agree with me. I'd like to think we would have already done away with pennies if it wasn't for the zinc lobby.

And, here is T's comment on Jolly Pirate doughnuts. (Say this with the tip of your tongue far back on the roof of your mouth.) "They're too dry. I need something to drink."

2 comments:

Michael Dart said...

You're going to get sick of "In Australia" comments, but...... In Australia we got rid of our 1c and 2c coins, awww... about 10 years ago. It's so much easier. It was funny to see all the bargains change from prices like $9.99 to $9.95.

djl said...

I think moist donuts have long since gone out at the Jolly Pirate.

The one and only time I ever ate at a Jolly Pirate, in Crestline, my donut was so hard I could have thrown it through a window.