Monday, January 31, 2005

International Kid

So, we're making a rare visit to McDonalds on Friday night (more later on Friday night, hopefully) and my 7-year old son points out an ad on the wall at the restaurant and says, "Hey, there's a cricket batter!" There were other activities on the ad as well, like basketball and fishing. But his notice of cricket brings the following thoughts to mind:
  1. I'm surprised that he recognized the cricket batsman. When I was his age, I'm pretty sure that I had no clue about cricket.
  2. Why in the world does McDonalds use cricket in its advertising schemes? While I don't mind the internationalization, it's not like we were in a high-immigrant area or anything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

> Why in the world does McDonalds use cricket in its > advertising schemes?
>
Bah-dah-bah-pah-pah -- they're lovin' it? I don't know. A lot of advertising schemes don't make sense, like, "I'm lovin' it". -- JES

Anonymous said...

The advertising scheme makes sense when you view how it is translated into other languages. In Germany, it is "Ich liebe es." At least in Germany, such advertising stands out from the crowd, because (a) it is actually in German and (b) it is simple.

As for cricket, why not? They probably use (recycle) the ad in other countries (other than the US)... this is also common for multinational or global companies.