Saturday, January 28, 2006

Xiangqi and a Business Idea

I guess I'm not that bad of a chess player. I mean, for the general population, I'm a pretty good chess player. But, once you get into the "set of adults that are good chess players", then I'm not really all that good. Anyway, that's beside the point. For whatever reason, I'm interested in learning to play xiangqi, or Chinese Chess. I don't know a whole lot of the history of chess, and there are conflicting theories anyway, but it's obvious that xiangqi and "international" chess share a common ancestry. Most of the xiangqi pieces have a corresponding piece in chess. For example, xiangqi horses are very much like chess knights, except that they can't jump the same way. However, the xiangqi cannon seems unique!

One problem I am having with the game is that it's all in Chinese! I mean, traditionally, the pieces are discs with Chinese characters printed on them. So, not only do you need to learn the game, you also need to learn the characters. Now, I can recognise a handful of Chinese characters, but if I want to play online or buy a set, I'm basically limited to something looking like the following:

Wow. I mean, if I spent some time on it, I could probably get used telling the elephants (who are like weak bishops) and the cannons apart. But it would take an even greater effort in teaching them to my kids or anyone else. It ain't likely.

What I would like to see (and would buy one if I could find it) is a Xiangqi set that has pieces that look a lot more like "international" chess pieces. Maybe they could have the "traditional" (or Simplified, for you Chinese language buffs) character on one side, and a more language-neutral symbol on the other.

I did find the following photo on the web. If you're familiar with chess, it's a lot less intimidating than the above one, isn't it?

I'd like to be able to play online with a set like the second one. I'd probably buy a set like the second one. I might even consider getting into the business of selling them. But probably not.

1 comment:

poutineq said...

I played my wife a few times -- once on a homemade set, and twice at Clubxiangqi.com. She won the first two games. I finally won the third.

I did find it possible to play games at the online site. The fact that illegal moves are disallowed was helpful. Also, I did kind of get used to the different Chinese characters, even though it gave me a headache.