Friday, October 14, 2005

My 2005 Internet Baseball Awards Ballot

There are still a few hours left to vote in the 2005 Internet Baseball Awards, now administered at BaseballProspectus.com. Since 1991, the IBA has been the real selector of the real baseball MVPs, top pitchers, etc. (Seriously, I feel that the IBA voters generally do a better job than do the "real" voters.) For more information on the IBA or to vote, click here.

Before I announce my votes, let me say that I don't consider the team's performance when ranking the players. I'm looking for the best players, and not the "best players on the best teams". Also, as a caveat, I don't really feel comfortable putting pitchers in my MVP rankings. I do it, but I feel as I'm just tossing one in there.

So, without additional justification, here's my ballot:

National League Cy Young Award
  1. Roger Clemens
  2. Andy Pettitte
  3. Dontrell Willis
  4. Chris Carpenter
  5. Roy Oswalt

American League Cy Young Award
  1. Johan Santana
  2. Mark Buehrle
  3. Kevin Millwood
  4. Bartolo Colon
  5. Jon Garland

National League Most Valuable Player
  1. Derrek Lee
  2. Albert Pujols
  3. Jason Bay
  4. Morgan Ensberg
  5. Chase Utley
  6. Carlos Delgado
  7. Roger Clemens
  8. David Wright
  9. Todd Helton
  10. Miguel Cabrera

American League Most Valuable Player
  1. Alex Rodriguez
  2. Mark Teixeira
  3. Manny Ramirez
  4. David Ortiz
  5. Travis Hafner
  6. Michael Young
  7. Johan Santana
  8. Brian Roberts
  9. Vladimir Guerrero
  10. Jason Giambi

(I'm less interested in "Manager of the Year" and "Rookie of the Year", so I don't vote on those.)

Comment away!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I appreciate that you and The Jamootz both voted for Derek Lee for the NL MVP... He had a great year, even though he had almost zero help around him. If their pitching staff could have stayed healthy they might have made the playoffs and it would be a moot point. But, he won't get the award in the eyes of the BWAA because the Cardinals ran away with the division, so it will most likely be Albert Pujols.

I don't doubt that Pujols is a great player, but with so many other good players around him, would they really have missed him if was gone for 3 weeks? probably not. Look how they did without Scott Rolen for most of the year.

Thanks for seeing through the BS and realizing that without D Lee the Cubs would have been a hell of a lot further below .500 than they were.