Wednesday, September 14, 2005

On Dasher! On Dancer! On Savannah, Taylor, and Mackenzie!

At cheerleading practice last night, I heard the "coach" call out for Savannah, Taylor, and Mackenzie. I thought to myself, "Welcome to 2005." I mean, from my vantage point, these seem to be common girls' names that weren't common when I was a child. In my era, the coach might have called out for Robin, Tammy, and Diane, for example. (Now, these are more likely the names of the coaches.)

I don't have anything against trends in names; my kids have names that weren't common when I was young. Actually, they aren't common now, as the most popular one was #65 in the year it was given. It looks like we may have been ahead of the trend on another, as it was in the 130s when it was given, and is in the 50s now.

I also don't have anything against common names. I mean, I favour names that people are somewhat familiar with, meaning that there is a finite number of names to choose from. And, unless we have a completely even distribution, sombody has to have the most common names, be it Savannah, Taylor, and Mackenzie, or Emily, Madison, and Olivia.

1 comment:

dfv said...

I DO believe I had a small part of you being in front of the curve with Gavan - at least that's who I think you mean. Remember when you were tossing around names? Those were the days. Has it really been that long?