Friday, July 15, 2005

i see red

Yesterday morning, I went to a funeral instead of going to work. (I could write a lot about that, but I'll add only one item of interest here.) I wore a suit and tie, and allowed my daughter to select the tie, not that I have many to choose from. She went with a mostly red tie with some blue and a swirl design that the kids call the Easter Egg tie due to the shapes of the swirls. Perhaps the Easter Egg tie was quite an appropriate one to wear for the occasion.

When I got to work in my suit and tie, there were the usual questions asking why was I dressed like that, and envious questions asking me if I had a (job) iterview. My response was that there were only two possible reasons why I'd dress like that, and since it wasn't an interview, it was the other reason: a funeral. To that, a coworker from Taiwan gave a surprised, "You can wear red to a funeral?"

So I guess the lesson is, don't wear a partially red tie to a Chinese funeral.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never would have known that (not to wear red to a Chinese funeral). I know very little about fashion and wardrobe etiquette, but I do know that it is acceptable to wear a standard business suit to a funeral in the U.S. I also know that the traditional color for funerals is black, but to my knowledge there has never been an expectation to wear all black, at least not since the 19th century.

Speaking of wearing suits, the last time I wore mine was to have my picture taken for my church directory two years ago. We're doing another picture directory this Fall, but I'll probably just go with business casual this time. BTW, I rarely wear business casual either. Unless there is a specific reason not to, such as giving a presentation to a "big boss", I wear a "geek suit" to work -- a short-sleeve or long-sleeve non-dress shirt (depending on the season) with jeans and walking shoes. On Fridays, I wear a T-shirt or sweatshirt, depending on whether it's short-sleeve shirt or long-sleeve shirt season. I like traditions like that -- kind of like the Reds wearing red jerseys for Sunday home games.

Anonymous said...

Just in case you ever go to a funeral in Germany:
Men: dark blue, dark gray (anthracite), or black suit. No brown. White shirt. Black tie. (Not "black tie" as in bow tie, but a simple black silk tie. It can have a black-on-black pattern, but no red or any other colors other than black.)
Women: Black blouse or sweater, black skirt or black trousers. Or a suit (in black) with a white blouse. Nothing too trendy. Think conservative. No flashy jewelry.
Children: Conservative. Not expected to wear a suit, but black (or black and white) is fine.

In China, red is the color of happiness. The bride wears it at weddings, along with a lot of gold.