Wednesday, March 07, 2007

NCAA Football '07 on the PlayStation 2

Here's a post that will probably interest nobody but me. For Christmas ('06) we were given a gift of a PlayStation 2 along with a few games. Because our Madden '05 (NFL Football) kept freezing up in the middle of games, I purchased a version of NCAA Football '07 (by EA Sports). The years are kind of a misnomer when it comes to these kinds of games; apparently when they say "'07", they really mean "Predictions for the '06 Season". Anyway, I've been working my way though a "Dynasty Mode" season for the Ohio State Buckeyes, who were ranked #1 before I started with them. The game apparently allows you to play several seasons with the same school, as you attempt to recruit and coach made-up players that come through your system. At this point, that doesn't interest me as much as playing a season with players I know against teams (with players) I recognize.

Also, since this is my first season, I'm still learning the game. So, if the Buckeyes lose the home opener to Northern Illinois 41-14 (some score, huh?), I figure I'm allowed to not save that result and try again. I considered that kind of result to be due more to my inexperience than to something that might reflect reality.

So, though you could say I have been cheating, the system thinks I am 11-0, with one regular-season game to go. However, it took me 3 tries to beat Northern Illinois and 2 tries to beat each of Texas, Iowa, and Northwestern. I guess you could call me 7-4.

Here are a few other items of note:
  • I'm usually not able to get much of a running game going. Sometimes I'll break a long run, but I'm rushing for a lot fewer yards (and a lower average) than I would have expected.
  • Conversely, the passing game is usually my most effective way to move the ball. And, none of that short stuff either. Stretching the defence and flinging it downfield seems to be most effective.
  • Despite starting at #1 and winning every game, I am now #2 in the polls to Florida. (More on the Gators later.) I guess I shouldn't have allowed those two late TDs to Minnesota (resulting in a 46-44 final score). That was the week that Florida moved to #1.
  • So, "next week" it's #2 Ohio State hosting #23 Michigan. Thus, the 2006 regular season final was more interesting.
  • Anthony Gonzalez is the leading candidate to win the Heisman. His Heisman run started when, early in the season, Ginn starting racking up a lot of receiving yards. I wanted to spread the ball around and get other guys some stats, too, so I tried to get Gonzalez the ball when in the scoring zone. So, after 11 games, I think Gonzalez has 18 receiving TDs to Ginn's 4.
  • As I mentioned, the first time I played Northwestern, I lost. The second time, QB Troy Smith got hurt early and is slated to miss a month. (So, no Smith for the Michigan game.) Troy's absence was also a hit on the running game, forcing me to rely even more on the passing game. Zwick did pass for 372 yards against Northwestern in a 35-14 win. I think Pittman rushed for 23.

But this whole thing isn't really real or fair. The game allows you to create and edit your own players. My son and his friend did that a while ago, where the neighbour kid is the Florida quarterback, and my son is the Gator's #1 running back. I'm not sure how, but somehow these players made it into my Dynasty Mode season such that I couldn't delete them without starting my season over. They weren't bashful when giving their players the highest possible rating in most every category, either. The only restraint I'm aware of is on some of the defensive numbers. The neighbour-quarterback's tackling and other defensive numbers are such that, if he were playing defence, he'd probably be the best player on the team, but not in the country. He said that this was necessary in case he threw an interception.

Anyway, with these two "ringers", things are slightly out of whack. The Gators are #1 and undefeated. The QB is high in the Heisman race, and if (when) I beat Michigan, I'll surely have to face them in the championship. Oh well, after that, maybe I'll start over with the real rosters.

One cool thing is the generated "magazine covers" based on the generated results of your and the other teams. Here's my son as Florida's top back:
Un(?)fortunately I don't have an easy way to transfer images, data, and video from the PlayStation to here. Maybe I should get a hobby like DFV's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No Troy Smith against Michigan? It could be a rough day for the Buckeyes. And don't worry about your performance against Florida. It couldn't be any worse than Ohio State's real performance against Florida!