Friday, January 26, 2007

Why Don't I Smile For Photos?

I never feel comfortable smiling for photos -- and when I do, I usually manage a small grin without showing my teeth. To do more on cue feels "fakey" to me. When asked to smile for a photo, I'll sometimes try to think of something funny to laugh about naturally. Why do I have an aversion to smiling for photos? Way back in Kindergarten, I smiled for my school photo, but my friend didn't. He looked so much cooler than I did, or so I thought, and I wanted to be like him. So, the next year, I didn't smile. It was becoming a habit when, for Grade 3 when I didn't have any front teeth, I displayed a big smile for my school photos -- and everyone made fun of it. So, it's rare that you'll find a photo of me smiling with my teeth in view.

I think I must have some flour or something in my beard.


And, who could be more cool than that? That shirt; the hair; the smile. Wonderful!


Here's the non-smiling friend. While no teeth are displayed, that does look like a smile to me. I seem to remember it more as a frown or glare. R., if you're out there, send me an e-mail.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I don't feel comfortable smiling for photos either, and it also seems fake to me. I've had photos taken by professional photographers, for the church directory for example. When they want a smile, instead of asking you to "say cheese", which is what everyone expects, they'll say something like "say fuzzy pickle", or something to get you to laugh naturally.

Anonymous said...

BQ says perhaps you dont feel happy about your smile or the color of you teeth? I think it is nice when you do actually smile and show your teeth. Some day those kids or grandkids will check out those photos and wonder if you had any teeth at all. HAAA That should get you smiling with showing teeth. Try some Crest whitestrips and get that hollywood white smile every one thinks we need these days.

dfv said...

That's a very cool photo of you Dave. I love trying to spot the Dave I know in these old shots.

I'm not a "teeth smiler" either - I prefer to think of myself as smiling with my eyes.