Thursday, January 18, 2007

What American Accent Do You Have?

Here's another quick web poll for you. What kind of American accent do you have? I suppose this would be especially interesting (or not) to a non-native English speaker, or a non-USAian English speaker.
  • A friend from Southwestern Ontario, Canada, got "North Central", which probably makes sense.
  • The proudly Australian DFV got Northeast/New York City(!).

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North
 

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

The Midland
 
The Northeast
 
Philadelphia
 
The South
 
The West
 
Boston
 
North Central
 
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My result:

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent."

Interesting, and matches my own experience. When travelling all over the world, every single English-speaking person I've encountered has always been able to understand me. This suggests I probably don't have much of an accent (or if I do, its a benign one).

However, I have had varying degrees of difficulty understanding other English speakers. The Scottish accent was, for me, as close to another language as you could get.