Tuesday, January 02, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore

Subtitled The Planetary Emergency of Global Warming and What We Can Do About It.

It seems that lately I've been writing primarily about books I've read or listen to, but here's one I read that I wanted to comment on. Maybe "read" is not the correct term for this book, because it is filled with cool photos and graphics, and also has a bit of prose by Al Gore, the former #2 man in the U.S. government. The photos are one of the main reasons why I bought the book. Don't we all love images of ice caps, glaciers, hurricanes, and the like? The book is also timely. In the future, we can look at it and see if the predictions are accurate and if the trends continue.

But, I think the book is best summed up by the following paragraph: (Italics are Gore's)

The climate crisis also offers us the chance to experience what very few generations in history have had the privilege of knowing: a generational mission; the exhilaration of a compelling moral purpose; a shared and unifying cause; the thrill of being forced by circumstances to put aside the pettiness and conflict that so often stifle the restless human need for transcendence; the opportunity to rise.

I get the impression that if I ride my bicycle to work, cut my carbon emissions, or whatever, that will not be good enough. Gore wants me to be compelled by moral purpose and have global warming be my generational mission. Not only does he want to change how I act, which I can go for to some degree. He also wants my heart and soul. I can't go for that.

Also, what's with you, Australia? Only two "advanced" countries have not ratified the Kyoto Protocol, the United States and Australia.

No comments: