Thursday, March 10, 2005

The Mad Greek

Last night on the way home from work, I was going to pick up some Indian food for dinner. But, when I was phoning in my order, I found that the number of the closest Indian restaurant to my house had been disconnected. Further inquiries confirmed that the place had shut down. So, instead I picked up dinner from a place called "The Mad Greek". It's too bad that there aren't more restaurants like this one in the "Fast Food Capital of the Midwest".

This was the second time I was at the Greek, and the second time I ordered carry-out. One of the dinners came with soup, so the guy asked me what kind of soup I wanted. Maybe this was because I had taken a while to look at the menu, and perhaps it was because I wasn't a regular customer. But when I asked for the fish soup, the guy behind the counter suggested that I try each of the soups, said a few words (partially in Greek) to an employee, and soon I had three bowls, each with a small amount of soup in the bottom. They were
  • Fish Something
  • Lemon Chicken (Which was described as the "most popular"), and
  • Lentil
They were all very good, but I went with my first urge of the fish.

Otherwise, all of the food is excellent. My usually picky daughter loves the pastitsio. Plus, they have delicious baklava ("Nature's most perfect foodTM"). It's all good, but I was most impressed by the personal service I received.

It's too bad there aren't more restaurants like The Mad Greek.

No comments: