Friday, March 25, 2005

It's All About the Information, Baby!

I'm taking this Good Friday (Jesus is the reason for this season) off work as one of my Floating Holidays or as Management Personal time or something. We were planning on visiting the in-laws this weekend, but those plans have been scrapped, and we'll be spending the day and weekend at home or at least in town.

The day off gives me some time to get things done around the house. I am finding that the things that "need to be done" are more and more information-related. Sure, I just helped the (usually) diligent T sweep the kitchen floor, but I also have the following tasks planned:
  • I finally decided that 256 MB just wasn't enough RAM for the computer, so I broke down and bought 512 MB more. But, the last time I added memory (probably the wrong kind) to my old computer, it really messed things up. It wouldn't boot and the disk got corrupted somehow. So, I'm burning CDs of the last 5 years of family photos, which is probably a good idea anyway. The amount of disk space needed took a big jump after last year's purchase of a 5 MP camera capable of taking video.
  • I need to finish up my taxes, or at least make a large dent on the remaining work. As I render therefore unto Washington the things which are Washington's (Matt. 22:21), this is also all about information. Since big ol' chunks o' gold aren't being passed back and forth, modern finances are all about keeping track of the information of who owes and owns what.
  • I need to clean up our little home office/computer room area. As I look around, in addition to the kids' toys, there are a lot of papers strewn about: more information in need of management.
  • Our bookshelves are a mess. What do books contain?
  • OK, I think you get my point!
I also need to do some good old-fashioned car repair work of replacing an EGR valve. This is really beyond my car repair abilities, so I'm not sure how far I'll get. At some point, it may be better to junk the old car.

No comments: