Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Love Is...

(Note: When I first wrote this, I wasn't planning on adding it to my blog. But, after reading it, I decided it was appropriate.)

1 Corinthians 13:4
Love is patient,

The verse continues, and I don't want to read too much into stopping the verse there. But, patience is the first attribute mentioned, and perhaps that is for a reason. Surely, love is not just patient. But, maybe by some measure, that's a good first approximation of what real love is. Indeed, try reading 1 Corinthians 13:4-12, noting how many times the statement about love relates to patience.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...my dog is more patient than most people I know. Does that mean he knows love better than most people? The bible can be interpreted, analyzed and disected in a gazillion million ways.

poutineq said...

Hmm...my dog is more patient than most people I know. Does that mean he knows love better than most people?It sounds that way. What kind of dog do you have? (It sure doesn't sound like my dog.) If you acted more like your dog, would you be more loving? Would people think of you as more loving?

The bible can be interpreted, analyzed and disected in a gazillion million ways.So what's your point? Is it that, because of this, anything mentioned the Bible can safely be ignored?

Anonymous said...

Oh my! That's exactly my point! If you don't get it, boohoo!

poutineq said...

Do I know you? If I do, I have a guess as to your identity...

Anyway, it seems that you can't see the trees for the forest or something. I mean, if you're unable to see any beauty or inspiration in 1 Corinthians 13 because of other prejudices against the Bible, there's not much I can say. Perhaps you should not be so dogmatic and take a look around.