Monday, November 08, 2004

Hand-Holding in Public

A few weeks ago, as I was walking back to the car with my son from one of his football games, I was holding his hand. I didn't notice any other father/son combinations doing this. At the time I thought "enjoy it while I can," since I know he's very close to the end of the Holding Hands With Daddy phase of his life.

It's interesting that my daughter and I can probably hold hands in public at any age, but that's not the case with my son. This is just an observation; I'm not bemoaning societal norms or anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would speculate that there is an expiry date for hand-holding with your daughter. In my own family's example, my dad had to push my sister away and encourage her to be a little more distant around the age of 10 because she was probably overly affectionate towards him. She took this quite badly at the time (early 80's). -DFV