Thursday, September 02, 2004

Memories at the Republican Convention

Memories light the corner of my mind.
Misty watercolor memories
Of the way we were.


Tonight I watched George W. Bush's acceptance speech for the Republican Presidential nomination. For better or worse, it seems that his campaign intends to bring up memories of his leadership in the time after September 11, 2001, and to campaign on his response to international terrorism. Once again, my wife had the best synopsis of a candidate's speech when she started singing the Barbra Streisand song The Way We Were.

One thing that I found annoying about the speech was the constant interruptions for applause. Did Kerry's speech have so many interruptions? I don't think so, but in any event, it was aggravating for a person who just wanted to hear what he had to say.

A few other thoughts on the speech:
  • I liked the self-deprecating comments regarding Bush's problems with language and having his English corrected by Arnold Schwarzenegger. One complaint I have with Bush's term in office is that he gives me the impression that he can't admit mistakes, or even conceive of the possibility that he might sometime make a mistake. So, it was somewhat comforting to see him able to admit some personal flaws.
  • I question the need for the far-reaching social programs outlined in the speech, especially in the areas of education and health care. Personally, I feel that the federal government already has far too much say in my children's education, and would prefer that the involvement decrease, not increase. (Please show me which part of the Constitution authorizes federal involvement in this area...)
  • It was interesting that when mentioning foreign leaders who were his allies, Prime Minister John Howard of Australia was the first one mentioned. I wonder if this would help or hurt Howard's reelection chances.
  • While I'm on the subject of Howard, does he look like "Dick" Cheney? Or is it just that I believed it when I heard that a bald guy with glasses could never be elected President, so I'm surprised when I see them in executive offices?
Here are photos of Cheney and Howard. Can you tell them apart?

One Bald Guy With GlassesAnother bald guy with glasses


Memories may be beautiful and yet,
What's too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget.
So it's the laughter
We will remember,
Whenever we remember
The way we were;
The way we were.

No comments: