Wednesday, May 30, 2007

What's on Your Gravestone?

I saw an interesting gravestone recently*. As you can see, it contains a name, birth and death dates, and the "common" gravestone symbols of a train engine and a tow truck. I am not an expert on the subject, but I don't remember seeing anything like it, which is why I snapped a picture.

I've seen nature scenes before. Military service designations are common, and I don't think it's unusual for even the complete agnostic's stone to have a religious symbol. But nothing says "second half of the 2oth century" like a tow truck. I wonder how it will look to future generations.

I remember reading Phil Niekro's autobiography. In it, he said something like, "My parents taught me the things they held most dear. My mother taught me faith in God and a respect for others. My father taught me the knuckler." Likewise, a gravestone is a limited slate to display what is most important to you. I can't say that I have given much thought to what I want mine to display, and I don't intend to consider that subject now. However, things like a computer or the logo of my favourite sports franchise are not the first items that come to mind.

I certainly give them credit for their honesty.

* - Let me say that no disrespect is meant towards the deceased or his family. I do not know them and have blurred out identifying information. If you know the deceased or his family and are offended by this post, ask nicely (and fill in the blanks) and I'll remove the photo.

No comments: