Friday, May 18, 2007

Professional Asset Management

For reasons that I won't get into, I have a retirement account valued at about $10 associated with a former employer. They have been persistent in asking me to sign up for some kind of "Professional Asset Management". Normally, I would say that this kind of thing is definitely not for me, and I prefer to manage my own accounts. However, I figure that I can afford to let a "professional" manage this account and see what happens.

Usually, the killer with these kinds of things are the fees. They charge a "maximum of 0.45%" of my account per year. Long-term, this would make a definite impact in the returns of an account. However, considering the value of the account, they will be charging me somewhere between 4 and 5 cents. Per year. They're working hard to get my money. I'll let 'em at it.

Seriously, maybe I'll learn something by watching what they do. Or maybe I'll get a nasty letter from somewhere about it.

No comments: