Sunday, February 11, 2007

Skating on Thick Ice

Has it been more than two years since I posted on this subject (which may have resulted in more comments than any other post here)?

Why is it that Bob The Builder tells kids to "always stay off frozen ponds"? Have frozen ponds always held extreme dangers that our parents and grandparents weren't aware of, or is it just that people are less responsible these days? In any case, as I've mentioned before, I try to go skating outside at least once a year. As I'm the only one in the family that has skates, the others just come along for the fun. Actually, I grabbed a kid yesterday, took some snow shovels, inspected and scoped out the snow-covered pond, and shoveled off an area and a path for skating. Today, we just went out and had fun. Enjoying a frozen pond is a memory I'd like my kids to have, even if I'm too cheap to buy skates that would be sure to be rarely used on growing feet.

Here are some photos, taken with "Snow" mode on the ol' camera:



If you want to talk about risky winter behaviours, check out the guy and the kids on the ATV. I certainly wouldn't want to restrict his choice of recreation, but, statistically speaking, my guess is that's a more dangerous activity than a hopefully responsible parent going out with his kids on a frozen pond.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, time flies! I remember your previous "frozen pond" post, and I would have guessed you made it last year. How in the world did I lose track of a whole year of my life? Well, I guess I really didn't; it just seems that way sometimes.