Sunday, August 07, 2005

Getting My Kicks on Route 256

Below is a sign noting an upcoming junction with Route 256. It may appear to be an ordinary highway sign, but can you spot the problem with it? It's a marker for US Federal Highway 256 (which has never existed) when it should be a marker for State Route 256.

I'm sure that many people wouldn't notice or care about such a mistake. I'm not one of those, as at least I noticed it. I took a photo of it to send to a friend whom I know also notices such things. But since I had a photo, I thought I'd post it here -- the blog has been quiet long enough.

As I've said before, I have respect for the people who make and install highway signs. Everyone makes mistakes, and it's not like most of these positions require an advanced university degree. But, on the other hand, it's their job to know the difference between a State and a Federal route.

Rather than simply sound like I'm complaining about the situation, I did write a note to the city Street Department superintendent, mentioning the mix-up and requesting that it be corrected. If the response or resolution is interesting, I may blog about it here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That seems to be a common mistake -- mixing up state and US highway signs. There used to be US 104 signs in West Portsmouth, OH, and I've read reports of US 126 signs on Colerain Ave. in Cincinnati. Maybe Ohio should have been like Texas and a handful of other states -- allow US and state highways with the same number. There's a spot in Texas where US 70 and Texas State Route 70 intersect. That would make it more likely that the general public (and sign contractors) would notice the difference.

Ashley said...

hehe. 8 Bit.