Sunday, February 20, 2005

N-H-Who? We have Arenaball!

Commenting on the cancelled season of the National Hockey League, it's worth mentioning that I went to the local Arenaball game with my 7-year old son tonight. Between the loud rock music and the high-scoring football action, HE UTTERLY LOVED IT.

What does this have to do with the NHL? Absolutely nothing, of course. (That's the point.) My son has never been to an NHL game. Had there been an NHL season, maybe last week we would have went to an NHL game and UTTERLY LOVED that. Maybe he would have become a hockey fan for life. Instead, he had a blast at the football game, and might never care about ice hockey.

3 comments:

djl said...

Nice to see the G-Man had fun at the game.

It was a lot of fun to watch on TV as well...that new quarterback can really play. Makes me wonder how/why Otterbein never won anything while he was there.

I take it G may be interested in joining us at the Canton Legends home opener?

Anonymous said...

Regarding the NHL, I sometimes hear sports commentators talk about how many people may have less interest in the NHL next season if they don't play at all this season. That always seems odd to me, because for me it would be impossible to have less interest in the NHL next season than I already do, because my current interest is zero. I think I've watched a grand total of one NHL game from start to finish in my lifetime. That was a time when I was really, really trying to get into professional hockey and I decided to watch game 7 of a championship series (what's it called, "Stanley Cup", I think?). For whatever reason, it just never captured my interest. I was really into the 1980 U.S.A. Olympic team, and I was once again in 1984 and 1988. I still follow Olympic hockey with mild interest, but that mild interest has never carried over to the professional level. The NBA is pretty much the same. If the NBA disappeared tomorrow, I would never miss it. On the other hand, I'm a college basketball fanatic.

Anonymous said...

Out of interest, did he utterly love the cheerleaders also? -DFV