Sunday, February 27, 2005

Letting the Kids Decide

For years, we haven't done much painting our of white walls because of one or both of the following reasons:
  • They're already white, so there is no need to paint them white.
  • If we picked out a colour, it would probably be boring or ugly.
This isn't exactly true, since we have done a bit of painting, like the sponge job of the downstairs restroom in Pepto-Bismol pink. But we've still had two of the kids' bedrooms that we hadn't touched with a paintbrush. This changed a few months ago, when we painted the girls' room in a nice purple and pink, with a nice border. I don't know interior decorating, but it looked OK to me.

Since they picked the colours, my son got to select the colours for his room. Not long ago, my wife and son went paint shopping, and came back with a medium green paint, with a blue for trim. The plan is to stencil some planets and stars on the walls in blue after painting the walls green.

Here's an in-progress photo. (No glass of wine is visible.)

Well, it certainly is bold-looking compared to the plain white, or even compared to the purple and pink room. I'll have to post a photo of the completed project.

I've heard it said, probably more than once, "Whenever you paint a room green, you'll be unhappy with the results." Am I unhappy? Well, I'm not painting. (I'd better go help!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in absolute shock. Wow - that's going to give him some real stimulation alright.

Let it be known that I rarely drink wine whilst painting, but it sure makes you less fussy about the result. The one thing absolutely essential is a radio or some CD's, because the second coat in particular is big time boring!

Green is a such a difficult colour to choose because there are more greens in the spectrum than any other. The beautiful thing about paint is you can just go over it if you grow to dislike it. I once did two entire coats of our shed - only to realise it was awful when I finished (it was a blue/green colour). It then took 3 coats of white to cover over. -DFV

Anonymous said...

I love how that mystery person in the photo is wearing a green top that matches the walls. If she spills some, she might even get away with no-one noticing. -DFV

Anonymous said...

Instead of stenciling planets and stars, consider buying some stick-on glow-in-the-dark stars to randomly place on the walls and ceiling. They don't look like much in the daylight, but when you turn out the lights at night they are truly awsome scattered about all aglow. I first encountered this decor while visiting a friend, when his daughter let me borrow her room for the evening, and I must say falling asleep that night was one neat experience.

Anonymous said...

I agree about the glow in the dark stars.. someone in our house has stars above his bed... at night it is really cool looking.. I would love to see the pic of the girls room now that it is pink/purple.. Green is a tough shade to choose that is for sure!