Saturday, February 02, 2008

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Have you felt that the recent novels you've read all seemed to be missing something? I mean, did you ever think, "That book was OK, but it sure could have used some more good, old-fashioned cannibalism"? If so, then The Road is for you.

The Road tells of the post-apocalyptic journey of a father and his son. And, it must of been a doozy of an apocalypse: in addition to other problems, apparently virtually every living thing on the planet has died, except for a handful of people. The only mention of non-human life in the book was a few mushrooms and a stray dog. So, ones options are, shall we say, limited.

The focus of the book is the relationship between the father and son. It's well-written, and is the type of book about which a reviewer might say, "Though the darkness, one sees such a spark of beauty." Don't believe that. This is the most depressing piece of fiction I can recall. It seems to me that it's more likely to mess with your mind in a negative way than it is to uplift the reader.

2 comments:

dfv said...

I nearly bought this last week, and am looking forward to getting to it oneday. I've read a few of his others (more Western in theme) and enjoyed them. Will let you know.

dfv said...

Finished it this morning - yes it's bleak alright. And I thought it was pointlessly repetitive. I don't know why they make such a big deal out of the father-son relationship when it seemed remarkably simple and offered few new insights beyond "I'll stay with you", "It will be ok" and general paternal protective sensibilities. So, although totally compelling for the sense of danger and the life hanging on the end of a thread factor, I was a little disappointed. At least the end was hopeful. 4 stars for me.