Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Kalahari Typing School for Men by Alexander McCall Smith



Considering my thoughts on The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, it might seem strange that I picked up the audio version of The Kalahari Typing School for Men when I saw it it the library. I suppose that there is a lot of stuff at the library that I know nothing about, so I thought I might as well go with something I knew wouldn't be horrible, instead of something totally random.

Maybe I'll do that sometime -- walk in and randomly select an audiobook.

Anyway, Typing is number 4 in the series. Rather than focusing on individual cases, Typing focuses more on relationships:
  • Mma Ramotswe is still engaged to Mr J.L.B. Matekoni.
  • Mma Ramotswe's assistant, the single Mma Makutsi, meets a man who seems too good to be true.
  • Mma Ramotswe's main case of the book, Mr Molefelo, is looking to correct wrongs he committed in the past.
Overall, the book seemed to have less of a "life in Botswana" flavour, but had more of a story and was more of a journey with people you know. Though slightly different in focus than No. 1, it was about as likable. I'm surprised I only gave that one two stars. I'll give this one two and a half stars out of five.

No comments: