Saturday, June 09, 2007

Biking in the Land of Plenty

Biking in the Land of Plenty

It was about time for the kids to move up to bigger bikes, so my wife went garage sale shopping today and picked up a couple of bikes for a total of $17. They had the idea that it would be nice to paint them, so I spent a good bit of the day disassembling the bikes for painting and then putting them back together. I had nothing to do with the neon green colour selection.

It's amazing to me how cheap used bicycles can be purchased. Sure, they're not in the greatest shape, but they're ridable. The point I'm trying to make is that, compared to walking, a bicycle is a big improvement, and it's amazing to me that people are practically giving away that transportation upgrade. Sure, part of it is that bikes are more toys that transportation.

Along those lines, I'd consider getting new higher-quality domestic bicycles for the kids, but it's hard to make that $250 (or more) purchase when a cheap, used, imported model costs $8.50. Not only does it show the challenges domestic manufacturers face, it makes me think about the economy of the future. One would hope that, in future years, mankind will be able to meet more of individuals' basic needs like food, shelter, and bicycles. So, if you want to sell something as more than a commodity, you'll have to make it better than anyone else. It's not enough to sell a good bicycle. You'll need to sell a great one, to those specialized buyers that are looking to buy a great one.

Also, I always have trouble with photos with that fence in the background. I think the camera likes to focus on the fence and not the foreground.

1 comment:

poutineq said...

While on a bike ride with my daughter, I heard a little boy say to his mother, "Wow! I've never seen a silver bicycle before."

I think his mother corrected him.